The County of San Mateo’s Human Services Agency, in collaboration with community partners, will be hosting the One Day Homeless Count on Thursday, January 25, 2024 from approximately 5 AM to 10 AM.
Every other year, San Mateo County’s Continuum of Care is federally required to conduct a Point-in-Time Count of the unsheltered homeless population in our County. The data collected is an important piece to developing understanding of the unsheltered homeless population, local planning, grant funding, and program development.
On the morning of the Count, approximately 400 volunteers will be deployed across the County to conduct the Observational Count.
TO VOLUNTEER FOR THE COUNT, REGISTER BY USING THIS LINK: General Volunteer Registration – 2024 One Day Homeless Count.
As a volunteer, you are committing to the following: (Total Time Commitment – 5.5 to 6.5 HRS)
- (1.5 HRS) Attending a 1.5-hour mandatory training via Zoom.
- During the training, we will provide an overview of the One Day Homeless Count, the County’s homeless system, event logistics, how to collect data and answer your questions.
- You must complete the training to participate as a volunteer, and we will be monitoring attendance at all of the sessions.
- Both weekday and weekend trainings will be available throughout January 2024. Sign-ups are on a first come first serve basis so register early to secure your preferred date and time! You will receive an email with information about your training after you complete registration.
- Upon training completion, you will receive 1.5 hours of LMS credit.
- (4-5 HRS) Participating in the One Day Homeless Count on Thursday, January 25, 2024, from approximately 5 AM to 10 AM. Breakfast and coffee will be provided!
- You will need to receive supervisor approval prior to registering. Supervisors will confer with their Department Director who will authorize staff participation on County time depending on the department’s operational needs.
We encourage you to share our flyer and spread the word to your family, friends, neighbors, and community members! This opportunity is a great way to get involved and learn about our County’s homelessness response system. For more information and to stay up to date on this event, please refer to our page on the HSA website.
If you have any further questions, please email us at HSA_OneDayCount@smcgov.org.